Thursday, July 31, 2014

The rescue of Sheldon, the chickadee. or: how to go on your vet's nerves.

Hallo meine Lieben,

hope you are all doing fine. As I mentioned on Tuesday, I rescued a little orphaned baby bird on Sunday. I named him Sheldon. Isn't he adorable?




It all started when I went for a walk on Sunday evening. I walked by a bus stop when I realized that there was something weird looking on the sidewalk. And when I came closer I saw that it was a little bird. I expected the bird to fly away but he didn't which worried me of course. So I sat down next to the bird and started talking to him which might be kind of weird but I felt like I had to introduce myself first. I did not know if he was hurt so I tried to inspect him as much as possible but could not see anything weird going on. He just did not move but he opened his eyes and he was chirping and I thought that was a good sign. But I was not sure what to do because I didn't just want to take him away in case the mother is around. I know that baby babies are starting to fly at this time of the year so I thought he tried and something went wrong but maybe the mom would come and help him.  I did not want  to do anything wrong so I called the vet. My normal vet wasn't there plus it was Sunday night so I had to call the emergency vet (luckily I had my phone with me and could look it up online). I talked to the vet's assistant and she said that the mom would probably come to help and that I should put him to a safe place (he was on the sidewalk at a bus stop so not very safe) and then leave him alone for a while but go back and check on him. So I had him next to a bush where it was safe (I did not want a cat to see him) and then went away. 

I was worried and went back after ten minutes but he was still there. So I thought I should give the mother some more time so I went back home to get some water for him. He was clearly exhausted so I thought I drink should help. I gave him drops of water which he seemed to like and then I left him again to give his mom a chance to come to help. I got really really nervous and went back at some point and he was still there. He seemed weaker than before, to weak to eat and he had his eyes closed most of the time. A lot of time had already passed so I decided that mama bird probably would not come and that I needed to do something. So I called the vet again and this time I spoke to the vet himself. I explained my situation and he said that I could either leave him there because it's a wild animal (no way), take him home with me and try to feed him again and see what happens or bring him to the veterinary clinic and get him some help there. The clinic was 45 minutes away (there are not that many options on a Sunday night) but I wanted to vet to have a look at Sheldon because I still wasn't sure if he was hurt and it that case I would not have been of any help. The vet did not sound so happy about my decision because that meant work for him on a Sunday night and he told me again that it would be a long drive for me over there but I was sure. And when I want something then I do it. I told me that I need to hurry and come immediately (don't know why because he was on call the whole night but okay). So I packed Sheldon into a cozy box with 2 fuzzy blankets which I already prepared for him and took him with me. 



I had the box on my lap while I drove to the veterinary clinic which really was at the end of the world (thanks GPS) and I was relieved when I finally got there. I was worried the whole way and might have driven a bit too fast. And of course I talked to my lap the whole time. The assistant opened and told me to fill out a form before even looking at Sheldon. So I did that and provided all information needed. Then she looked at Sheldon and said "tiny" and I was like "yeah, obviously. He is a baby." And then she said to me "Thank you, that's it. We will take care of him". And I thought that this lady clearly does not know me at all and that I would not just go and leave without knowing what was wrong with him. So I asked her if the vet would have a look at Sheldon immediately and she looked really annoyed and called for the doctor. I told her that I want to know if he is okay and asked if I could be there when the doctor treats him. She had an even more annoyed look on her face but agreed and let me enter their holy halls of veterinary care. The doctor was called "Dr. Wolf" which I think is a pretty awesome name for a vet. He treated Sheldon, looked if his wings are fine, if he has any injuries etc. Sheldon seemed to be fine except of that he was exhausted, motherless and in need of food. I felt satisfied because I got what I wanted and the doctor took care of Sheldon. They brought him back to a place where they already had a little sparrow with the same fate and told me that they would let him rest a bit now and then treat him and feed him. And that he would be fine. I asked what would happen to Sheldon afterwards because obviously I was willing to take care of him. The doctor told me that his friend runs a bird sanctuary and that they could nurse him back to health together with the other little bird and so I decided that this would probably be the best option for Sheldon since I am not a professional bird-back-to-health-nurse and that Sheldon would probably prefer to be with other birds instead of two weird cats. So I agreed on that and said Sheldon goodbye. 

Of course I asked the vet if I could call the next morning and ask about Sheldon. The assistant clearly thought that I am stupid and annoying but I did not care. The vet laughed and said that is absolutely fine. But it was obvious that he thought that I am crazy and should leave them alone. I did not care. So I called Monday morning and was relieved to hear that Sheldon had a good night and was already more energized, that he ate and that the bird sanctuary guy just picked him up to take care of him. Maybe I can go and visit him? I am really happy that I was able to provide some help for Sheldon...and of course I will call the bird sanctuary to ask how Sheldon is doing. He has a special place in my heart now. 


Thank you for reading!
Have a good week!



20 comments:

  1. If I didn't already love you, this would have done it. I would have done exactly the same thing except I probably would have brought a sleeping bag and set up camp next to his bed and woken up every hour to check that he was still alive. I do think you made the right decision sending him to the bird sanctuary - perhaps they can even get him well enough to release into the wild when he's a little older (plus you don't want your cats getting any ideas!). I love that you called him Sheldon! Best name ever. Thank you for being.... well, you! and rescuing him. Your story just made me cry a few happy tears. (Yes, I'm a big softie.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, you are so sweet, Em! Thank you for all your lovely words! :) I know you would have done the same thing! The problem was that I could not stay next to him, I had to leave him alone. The vet told me that the mother would not come to help him as long as I was in sight. So I had to go away in case the mother would come back. When I realized that she would not come back I never left his side again. I hope the bird sanctuary can get him well enough so that he can have his wild life back! I thought he looked a bit like a Sheldon and that is why I named him that! :) I will keep you updated!

      Delete
    2. I think you handled it perfectly - you had to leave him and see, but it's good that you went back for him when it was clear his mom wasn't going to. It's a delicate balance with wild animals, but I think that with all the damage we humans have done to nature, we owe it to little creatures like Sheldon to step in and help when we can!

      Delete
    3. Yeah, I felt bad about leaving him but I had no other choice to find out if the mom is still around or not. And I totally agree, we owe the animals all the help they need. Humans make them suffer all the time so I try to give back.

      Delete
  2. Kindness thou name is Katrin!

    I am so happy that you did what you did. (scre* the receptionist ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your sweet words, it means a lot!

      Delete
  3. Aw! What a sweet story. I've rescued birds before too. I always worry that a cat will get them. The vets always act so odd about it but I think a baby bird is just as important as a lost or injured pet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree. I find it difficult how animals are put on a scale of value, and some people will put up thousands of dollars' reward for a lost dog but not think twice about an injured wild animal. A living thing is a living thing, imo!

      Delete
    2. Aww, I love that you rescued birds before too, Martha! I was really worried that something could happen to him, no matter if it is cats or stupid people or whatever. And I agree, it does not matter if it's a cat, dog, bunny or bird. They all need help when they are in danger!

      Delete
    3. Em, I agree. It does not matter if dog or cat or bunny or cow or bird. Have you read the book "Why we love dogs, eat pigs and wear cows"?
      https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6532109-why-we-love-dogs-eat-pigs-and-wear-cows?ac=1

      Delete
    4. I haven't - I'll check it out! I have a hard time sometimes reading books about how animals are treated, because I feel helpless to do more to help them and it's just so upsetting! But I will definitely take a look and see if it's one I can handle!

      Delete
    5. I totally understand. I always have to force myself to read books about animal rights etc. I end up crying all the time but this book was definitely worth reading (also "Eating Animals").

      Delete
  4. Sure a wonderful person indeed at your feed

    ReplyDelete
  5. Last night I saw a dead pigeon in the centre square apparently the neck was twisted (it looked like a rough play with another animal or something else). It was pretty depressing. Thank you, Katrin for rescuing this precious little bird, you are an amazing lady! That bird wouldn’t have survived without you and your help! I’m sorry to hear about your story at the clinic - I’ve had faced these type of people before and they always have this ‘i don’t care’ look. I’m glad that Sheldon is at a bird sanctuary now, please let me know how he is doing! ❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, it always makes me so sad to see a dead animal. I can barely stand it. The poor pigeon! :( I get so depressed when I see something like that. Thank you so much for your sweet words, Rika. It really means so much. I am glad I was able to help the bird! I don't care if it is a dog or a cat or a bird or any other animal, I just want to help! I will keep you updated!

      Delete
  6. You are probably the sweetest and most kind hearted person I have ever met - bless you and fingers crossed for Sheldon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you so much! <3 It really means a lot to me. I am just trying to be a nice person and help others, humans and animals.

      Delete
  7. Awwwwww, what a wonderful story! Sheldon was a lucky guy he met you, the kindest and most caring person he could have wished for! So sweet you did all that for him, the long drive, the annoyed staff and the worries about him. I'm sure he'll be ready to fly out on his own very soon, but only because of you <3
    Die Story macht mich ganz glücklich, so schön, dass Du ihm einfach geholfen hast.
    Ich drücke Dich noch Mal richtig feste! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you like the story, Beate! The little guy really touched my heart! He is so sweet! And thank you so much for your kind words, it really means so much! You are such a wonderful person! I hope I can go back into the wild soon. :) He deserves it! Danke danke danke, Liebes! Ich drueck Dich ganz ganz dolle! <3

      Delete

Please leave a comment...